FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cumberland Rocks (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13627)

SAMBOLIE 08-19-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 88097)
I don’t striper fish that often. I really only target them at the steam plant in the winter time but to me they are the most rewarding fish to catch. Especially ones over 30lbs. They are so strong and they are special memories for me. I’ve caught probably a dozen over 25lbs and every single one of them was on a 6xd with 12lb line. I’ve tried to go to 20lb line but I’ve never caught one on 20lb and I always end up switching back to my normal deep cranking bass rod. It’s a lot of fun but I’ve also broke off quite a few times. It makes me feel bad knowing that there are a few big stripers swimming around with a crankbait stuck in their mouth. I finally quit using the 12lb line for that reason and I haven’t caught one since. But I don’t spend much time doing it. 12lb line with a good drag will certainly hold up to a 40lb striper but not when their teeth are rubbing the line. A lot of the big ones I’ve caught I only got in because they were hooked outside the mouth. What are your rod, reel, and line setups that you use to catch them? Those are some nice fish man and I hope you catch a bunch more

Use 4 or 6 lb test. It fits between the teeth, therefore preventing the friction of larger diameter line.

SAMBOLIE 08-19-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 88103)
Yes indeed lupanfreitag, I agree..You need to use a broomstick for a rod and a rope for line and get the fish in the boat ASAP if you plan to release it ..

The Longer you fight the Rock with bass gear and a soft drag with 10 to 20 pound test line, the chances are Lactic Acid sets up in the fish and the ability for it to swim off and live is a very low percentage if you release it...... <"TK>:mad:

I am for preservation of the fish. However, I can't find satisfaction with winching a fish to the boat. Use light equipment and give the fish a fighting chance.
Reminds me of Jerry Clower on coon hunting. Drop the coon amongst 10 or 15 dogs and give him a fighting chance of whooping them and walking away. :D

tkwalker 08-19-2020 10:38 PM

Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE (Post 88104)
Use 4 or 6 lb test. It fits between the teeth, therefore preventing the friction of larger diameter line.

Sambolie, You just want to floss it's teeth ..;)

Texas_Rig 08-20-2020 11:41 AM

TK Are you saying that the fish can swim away looking fine and die later? If that’s the case then that really bums me out. I’ve always released every one of them. I always take plenty of time with them in the water afterwards and I’ve never had one that didn’t swim away looking fine. I would be bummed if there was a high probability those fish didn’t survive. Most of them certainly seemed weakened after tge fight but seemed to gather their strength after a minute or 2 in the water beside the boat

Texas_Rig 08-20-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE (Post 88104)

It took me 30 minutes on 12lb line to catch one over 40lbs one time. I couldn’t imagine 4-6. That one in particular had me wrapped around the barrier at the steam plant for a long time. He swam under the barrier and I was in a bad spot. About the time I was trying to stick my rod under the barrier it swam back on the other side

ryanbass16 08-20-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupanfreitag (Post 88096)
Still on fire.
Bait thick.
At least 1,000,000 skipjacks to every single sport fish.
Here are a of handful of photos.

Be safe, fish your brains out.

lupanfreitag - are you fishing with live or cut skipjacks? Also, do you know what the water temp has been?

SAMBOLIE 08-20-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 88111)
It took me 30 minutes on 12lb line to catch one over 40lbs one time. I couldn’t imagine 4-6. That one in particular had me wrapped around the barrier at the steam plant for a long time. He swam under the barrier and I was in a bad spot. About the time I was trying to stick my rod under the barrier it swam back on the other side

Rarely use 6. Mostly 2 or 4. Just didn't want lesser skilled people like Merv trying to mimic and lose all that he hooks.

Texas_Rig 08-20-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE (Post 88113)
Rarely use 6. Mostly 2 or 4. Just didn't want lesser skilled people like Merv trying to mimic and lose all that he hooks.

Ahh. I haven’t seen a fish that Merv has caught that was in jeopardy of breaking 2lb line

spottedbass 08-21-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texas_rig (Post 88115)
ahh. I haven’t seen a fish that merv has caught that was in jeopardy of breaking 2lb line

ouch!!

SAMBOLIE 08-21-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texas_rig (Post 88115)
ahh. I haven’t seen a fish that merv has caught that was in jeopardy of breaking 2lb line

:d

lupanfreitag 09-21-2020 05:38 PM

Rocky Rocks

Still pretty good. The water is cooling and bait is concentrating but if you find bait you find the river monsters.
Maybe another 2-3 weeks.
Plan to go deep after that or transition points.
Dam fishing can't be beat.