FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fishing Log (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12911)

Texas_Rig 11-04-2018 07:04 AM

Fishing Log

I'm thinking about starting a thread on here that documents all my fishing trips. It would include all details of every fishing trip I take. Such as, what lake, how many fish caught, species, baits used to catch each fish, weather, etc.. Is this something you guys would be interested in? I'm thinking that by documenting every trip that I can possibly identify certain patterns that I'm missing while on the water. I was thinking this would be beneficial to me and possibly some of you guys. You guys may be able to analyze the data better than me and help me with suggestions and use the information for your fishing trips on those lakes as well.

What do you guys think? If no one is interested then I'll just record the data in my phone and not bother sharing it here. Just food for thought

Heiny57 11-04-2018 07:55 AM

I started keeping a log a couple months ago, I hope it might help me in future seasons.

I say go for it and I will follow along.

gordonc615 11-04-2018 08:28 AM

That would be like a early Xmas present for me!

Sent from my Vivo One Plus using Tapatalk

YETI-14 11-04-2018 09:49 AM

What a generous offer! That would be great! I would definitely follow.

tkwalker 11-04-2018 01:19 PM

Fishing Log .. <'TK><

TR, That would be very generous of you ... We get great reports and pic's from a number of our members on fishing trips but seldom detailed info on unproductive outings.

I use to keep trip info in a Journal That I would have on board every time I left the ramp. (Now remember this was before the internet, tablets, laptops, fancy phones, etc). I would record air temp, as well as water, wind speed and direction, date time of year, water current, gen. schedules, animal activity on the bank, weather in general. Then where I fished on the river, general info on strikes, catches, and in what environment, structure, log jams, bluffs, everything the river had to offer as far as info.. Now remember I was fishing for only one species of fish on one specific fishery ... After a few years I stopped the journals do to the fact I pretty much knew what and how on any specific trip..

But for the multi species fisherman on multiple fisheries your fishing logs would be a tremendous aid to new and old alike ... Thanks for the unselfish post ... <'TK><

luckystratos 11-04-2018 02:47 PM

Texas Rig That would be great and might help some,myself and few others,understand what we are doing wrong.

TerryD 11-04-2018 06:05 PM

T-rig,
I don't bass fish anymore but I think it would be very educational to follow along. I always read your posts anyway because of your attention to detail and the simplicity and effectiveness of your fishing style. Thanks for the offer and can't wait to go with you (through your posts!)
Good luck.

Alphahawk 11-04-2018 07:40 PM

It’s a great idea. I used to keep a detailed log but have become lazier as I age. One thing I do though is use the user advanced search to look over my posts from the last year or two or three....to see what I was catching this time.....where I was at....and what if any info about conditions I put in my posts. For instance....November 2017 was not a good year for crappie at Nickajack....but November 2016 was.

Regards

BigJimSportsCamper 11-04-2018 08:04 PM

Thanks for Sharing

I would definately read as fishing for Stripers is sometimes a challenge on Tims Ford. You taking the time to share your knowledge and outcomes is surely helpful.
Thanks-
Jimmy :D

Texas_Rig 11-05-2018 02:23 AM

I didn't realize there would be this much support for something like this. I have a couple different reasons for wanting to do this. Some I shared in my original post. But the main reason is that I love this site and I want to keep contributing to it. I haven't posted a whole lot lately because quite frankly I just feel like when I do post that I'm just bragging or not painting an accurate picture. That's not who I want to be. It almost feels to me like I'm saying "Hey look what I caught". That's another reason I haven't been posting a lot of pictures.

Another thing I want to make clear is I'm certainly not saying that the guys that post pictures and fishing reports on here are bragging or being dishonest , because I know the time and effort that was put in to finding those fish. I just want the less experienced fishermen on this site to get the whole picture and not get discouraged because they aren't catching fish like some of us are.

Guys may come on here and see me make a post every week when I caught them good, and think I do that every trip. What doesn't get posted about are the other 2 or 3 days that week that I didn't catch much. This will allow me to be much more transparent (big word these days) about my fishing outings. I want to capture the whole picture. I also think that by documenting everything and being able to see it, that I will be able to connect more of the dots and catch more fish.

Thanks for letting me do this guys and Im open to any suggestions and criticisms along the way!

Texas_Rig 11-05-2018 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryD (Post 84217)
T-rig,
I don't bass fish anymore but I think it would be very educational to follow along. I always read your posts anyway because of your attention to detail and the simplicity and effectiveness of your fishing style. Thanks for the offer and can't wait to go with you (through your posts!)
Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words. I do try to keep fishing as simple as I can and not overthink it.

Texas_Rig 11-05-2018 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckystratos (Post 84215)
Texas Rig That would be great and might help some,myself and few others,understand what we are doing wrong.

I'm not expert at bass fishing and sure as heck ain't no KVD. I just spend a lot of time on the water. I eventually run into fish just by process of elimination. Other than guys that make a living on the water, there are not too many guys that fish more than I do. Most of my time is spent eliminating water. But it sure is fun when I find a solid pattern. Sometimes I think I get more enjoyment out of figuring it out than I do actually catching fish. On the flip side it sure can be frustrating and humbling when I can't figure it out which happens a lot.

Texas_Rig 11-05-2018 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 84214)
TR, That would be very generous of you ... We get great reports and pic's from a number of our members on fishing trips but seldom detailed info on unproductive outings.

I use to keep trip info in a Journal That I would have on board every time I left the ramp. (Now remember this was before the internet, tablets, laptops, fancy phones, etc). I would record air temp, as well as water, wind speed and direction, date time of year, water current, gen. schedules, animal activity on the bank, weather in general. Then where I fished on the river, general info on strikes, catches, and in what environment, structure, log jams, bluffs, everything the river had to offer as far as info.. Now remember I was fishing for only one species of fish on one specific fishery ... After a few years I stopped the journals do to the fact I pretty much knew what and how on any specific trip..

But for the multi species fisherman on multiple fisheries your fishing logs would be a tremendous aid to new and old alike ... Thanks for the unselfish post ... <'TK><

Thanks for allowing this and your spot on about the non productive days. That's one of the main reasons for doing this. I'm going to record a lot of the things you talked about in this post.

tkwalker 11-05-2018 11:42 AM

Great Idea Randy ... <'TK><

TR, as Alphahawk mentioned the advanced Google search located in the upper right corner of any page would be a great tool for all members and guest to track all of your logs in the future, This way anyone can go back and look at one of your post on any specific fishery and date ... This is automatically stored ... Just check the www.fishingtn.com circle and type in the subject and then search ... <'TK><:)

Heiny57 11-05-2018 01:43 PM

I will be extremely interested in the bad days as well. I am trying to understand or quantify the effects of cold fronts have on fishing if any. I don’t bass fish that much anymore but I do fish for Crappie and the Line Sided species. Just like last Saturday, it was a post cold front day and I caught only one small Striper.

Bad conditions? Bad fishermen? Or maybe both. LOL �� But I am a weekend warrior and have to go when I can.

And I am trying to pattern the shad also, that is a whole other topic.