FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Striper fishing below old hickory dam hendersonville side (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12954)

metaniumxg 12-23-2018 06:12 PM

Striper fishing below old hickory dam hendersonville side

Hey fellas, Is fishing allowed below the dam at OH Dam on the Hendersonville side? I see its fenced off but I also see people fishing down there and walking around the fence. Anyone know the real story? I heard the fence was to stop people from taking vehicles.

Also any advice for catching stripers/rockfish below the dam from the bank? Thanks in advance guys!

Halli 12-23-2018 09:50 PM

Go for it!

It is fine and has parking you need to just walk on down to the rocks and commence to getting it done!!!

Fished there since a kid.

skillet 12-24-2018 04:18 PM

Just be careful on the rocks. Little over a month ago a guy slipped and fell into the water and drowned. Not sure if his body was found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metaniumxg 12-25-2018 03:27 AM

So the authorities wont hassle me since they "fenced off" the entrance? Wow thats tragic to hear a guy drowning. I grew up fishing there as a kid and want to start up again. Thanks for the replies guys :)

FishAddict 12-28-2018 11:13 AM

No they won't bother you. I assume that the fence is there for liability reasons. Just be careful, if you are not accustomed to climbing around on the rocks it can be dangerous. There is a lot of water going through right now though.

gordonc615 01-02-2019 03:29 PM

TBH it's no good unless it's only one generator going if ur fishing from the bank. I also learned to free line there as in try to catch some shad with a cast net or bring shiners and then with no weight throw it up around the generator wall. If not get hung up all the time

Sent from my Vivo One Plus using Tapatalk

metaniumxg 01-05-2019 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonc615 (Post 84494)
TBH it's no good unless it's only one generator going if ur fishing from the bank. I also learned to free line there as in try to catch some shad with a cast net or bring shiners and then with no weight throw it up around the generator wall. If not get hung up all the time

Thanks for the information. Is winter a bad time to chase the stripers? Ive heard that during the summer around dawn is best but Id love to get down there this winter and try my luck

gordonc615 01-07-2019 12:22 PM

Yeah summer like July to August but it gets hot quick. Make sure u get there early cause it will get crowded if the dam is producing. 20-30 lb braid is a must btw due to all the rocks.