FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Gear (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Does anyone else run a Motorguide Xi5? (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13207)

Adrian 08-15-2019 03:17 AM

Does anyone else run a Motorguide Xi5?

I'm having an Xi5 issue. If I run it on 100 for more than about 30 seconds it shuts down and the lights go off. I stow it, unplug it and plug it back in. Deploy it and it works fine as long as I stay under 100%.

Is my it my inline breaker?

Buccaneer 08-15-2019 06:48 AM

It's the breaker most likely. Is the plug hot when you disconnect it? Is the breaker an auto-reset type? If so and it has tripped several times they are prone to go bad. I assume this is a 24 volt system so you should have a 60 Amp breaker.

Adrian 08-15-2019 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have replaced the Marinco Plug thinking it was the Plug and it wasn't. I've noticed it does get a little warm at high speeds. It is a 24V system and each Battery has a 30A breaker. I was lead to believe that wired independently as they are, that 2 30A would equal 60A.

I'll attach a photo.

Adrian 08-15-2019 07:32 PM

There is no Manual Reset on the Breakers. It just shuts off, and I stow the trolling motor unplug it and plug it back in and it works again as long as I don't do 100%.

spottedbass 08-16-2019 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am running the same trolling motor. I haven't had any issues with running it at 100%. I do have a single breaker.

spottedbass 08-16-2019 07:56 AM

On another note, do you have your Xi5 networked into your HDS units?

Adrian 08-16-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedbass (Post 86231)
On another note, do you have your Xi5 networked into your HDS units?

Yes they are all networked. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pull the 4 wires and go to 2 wires and put the batteries in series with one 60 amp breaker. Question is, will I be fine with the existing #8 wire or should I go #6?

spottedbass 08-16-2019 02:18 PM

I only have 2 wires and my batteries are hooked in series.

I would go with the #6 wire. #8 might get hot if you are pushing the trolling motor hard.

So I guess you have a NMEA 2000 Network? I have my HDS units linked with the ethernet cable. Just wondering if it is worth the money and hassle to install the NMEA 2000 Network just to have the Xi5 talking to the HDS. I get on my waypoint now and hit anchor on the Xi5. Is having the Xi5 connected a big advantage?

Adrian 08-17-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedbass (Post 86233)
I only have 2 wires and my batteries are hooked in series.

I would go with the #6 wire. #8 might get hot if you are pushing the trolling motor hard.

So I guess you have a NMEA 2000 Network? I have my HDS units linked with the ethernet cable. Just wondering if it is worth the money and hassle to install the NMEA 2000 Network just to have the Xi5 talking to the HDS. I get on my waypoint now and hit anchor on the Xi5. Is having the Xi5 connected a big advantage?

Yes NMEA 2000 Network. I'm trying to remember why I needed it in the beginning, It think it was because of the Pinpoint Gateway that I installed, and then it came in handy when I put in the Point One (Hockey Puck). So many advantages to having the Pinpoint Gateway, probably too many to list here, but for one, I can click on the map and tell the MG to take me to any spot I touch on the screen and it will drive there and go into Anchor mode when it arrives. This feature really helps if you're trying to triangulate a position on a school of summer bass!

Buccaneer 08-17-2019 08:15 AM

Adrian what pound thrust is your troller? My 80lb Minn Kota Maxxum Pro draws 57 amps at the high setting. A 60 amp breaker is necessary a 6 gauge wire advisable. You should re-rig for a single breaker arrangement.

Adrian 08-17-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 86238)
Adrian what pound thrust is your troller? My 80lb Minn Kota Maxxum Pro draws 57 amps at the high setting. A 60 amp breaker is necessary a 6 gauge wire advisable. You should re-rig for a single breaker arrangement.

Mine is 80lb also. I'm just now beginning the Amazon hunt. So many parts with all the ring terminals & sizes... Looks like this project will begin sometime next weekend!

Blackdog 08-21-2019 08:28 AM

I had to do the same thing when I upgraded to an 80lb Minn Kota...
Installed Marinco 70A Trolling Motor Plug & Receptacle, 6 G wire, single 60A breaker.
FYI if you need wire, check out https://tinnedmarinewire.com/wire/ ... they will send wire with your colors, add whatever size lugs you need, heat shrink, etc.

On a side note, I had an older MG motor that started cutting out at high speed, found a melted wire in the head. Cut and re-soldered, it was fine after that.

-Mike

Adrian 09-25-2019 01:42 AM

Just wanted to update: Replaced the old wiring with 6 gauge. Ran the batteries in series with a 60amp breaker and 60amp marinco outlet. Everything works perfectly. Can run wide open with no problem!

spottedbass 09-25-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian (Post 86527)
Just wanted to update: Replaced the old wiring with 6 gauge. Ran the batteries in series with a 60amp breaker and 60amp marinco outlet. Everything works perfectly. Can run wide open with no problem!

Awesome! Glad your back up to "full speed ahead".