FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Theft at Caney Fork (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12860)

Doc Marshall 08-26-2018 09:41 PM

Theft at Caney Fork

The same gang, possibly tweakers, robbed about 8 vehicles in the parking lot at the dam today (and Happy Hollow, and even Edgar Evins State Park).

I had an odd, aggressive run-in with people I believe were the suspects when I first arrived. They seemed to be looking for a fight. I blew it off and fished further down river. When I returned to the parking lot a few hours later, I ran into some folks who had observed the scene earlier. Apparently, the same 4 people (2 men, 2 women) kept walking between the dam and the parking lot and making people uneasy. They informed me that the cops were there and several cars had had their windows busted open.

Be careful out there, folks! I do not own a gun but today is the first time I've considered having some protection in the car.

agelesssone 08-26-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Marshall (Post 83862)
The same gang, possibly tweakers, robbed about 8 vehicles in the parking lot at the dam today (and Happy Hollow, and even Edgar Evins State Park).

I had an odd, aggressive run-in with people I believe were the suspects when I first arrived. They seemed to be looking for a fight. I blew it off and fished further down river. When I returned to the parking lot a few hours later, I ran into some folks who had observed the scene earlier. Apparently, the same 4 people (2 men, 2 women) kept walking between the dam and the parking lot and making people uneasy. They informed me that the cops were there and several cars had had their windows busted open.

Be careful out there, folks! I do not own a gun but today is the first time I've considered having some protection in the car.

I never leave home without it.....in an inconspicuous pouch. 20 rounds of 'f' you for the bad guys.
You don't bother me, I don't bother you.
Vietnam point man who made it home, not willing to be taken out by punk thieves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Adrian 08-27-2018 01:04 AM

I was supposed to head out there tomorrow. Kind of second guessing it. Unless they caught the crackheads!

Flatline 08-27-2018 02:30 AM

I've been thinking about this, carrying that is... Is there any laws about carrying while fishing ?

agelesssone 08-27-2018 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 83867)
I've been thinking about this, carrying that is... Is there any laws about carrying while fishing ?

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six!

Another law to live by...."A gun is like a parachute, if you don't have one when you need one, you probably won't ever need one again."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jaybird 08-27-2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 83867)

You will need to have a concealed carry license to be legal. In TN, you can carry in your vehicle without a license because it is considered an extension of your home. Your boat is not.

Like Merv said, if you are concerned, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

TroutFiend 08-27-2018 06:25 AM

Man, I am glad we stopped fishing early then, they cranked open the sluice gate around 9 am yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAMBOLIE 08-27-2018 06:48 AM

You can't legally carry on COE or TWA property (legally). However, if you are carrying in an illegal zone and have to use the weapon to defend yourself you can't be prosecuted (per my instructor).
You can carry in your car without a permit. You can't get out of the car with it. At least you have some defense from road rage or car jacking.
Doc, get a permit and carry at all times. A gun left in the car is a gun awaiting to be stolen. Also you will not have time to go back to the car if you are attacked while not in it.

luckystratos 08-27-2018 07:20 AM

I hate thieves. I don't have much but what I have is mine. I need to get that carry permit because I have started get a little uneasy around some ramp anymore.

tnduxcaller 08-27-2018 07:38 AM

Merv Thanks for your service and glad you made it home!!!!!

ttitan27 08-27-2018 08:06 AM

Boat ramps can be some really dangerous places. All sorts of riff raff hang out there. I am always armed when fishing. I'm much less concerned on the water but coming and going from boat ramps I am always on alert.

CFrockfish 08-27-2018 08:37 AM

This article was posted a few months back warning of the increased vehicle break-ins around the center hill/ Caney fork ramps.
https://fox17.com/news/local/officia...nter-hill-lake

I'm usually fishing down there at night and almost always worried about my car being broke into so I don't leave behind valuables and always carry a gun. The crazy thing as mentioned in the article is that its day time break ins.

I've seen many shady characters over the years at the ramps on the Caney that had no real business there. Most I suspect to be drug users or something of that nature. Never had anything stolen or any bad run ins, but again Im always carrying and never leave behind anything worth stealing and nothing in plain sight...not ever a lure or tackle box in my seat. Thieves will steal anything.

Doc Marshall 08-27-2018 08:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies/advice. I think I've always had a false sense of security at boat ramps. I used to drive a 94 Camry p.o.s., so I really didn't worry about break-ins ("if they really need to steal plastic worms, they can have `em").

But now I'm a father and frequently bring my boys along. The idea that there are desperate people out there is unsettling. Here in East Nashville we've had a few fatal armed robberies lately (and a few senseless, random shootings).

Most unsettling to me were the break-ins at Edgar Evins. I took my sons camping there this summer. Going forward I'm going to be lot more vigilant about safety.

tkwalker 08-27-2018 09:32 AM

They are not concealed in Tennessee.. <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybird (Post 83870)
You will need to have a concealed carry license to be legal. In TN, you can carry in your vehicle without a license because it is considered an extension of your home. Your boat is not.

Like Merv said, if you are concerned, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

In Tennessee we do not have a concealed permit ... It is a carry permit. You can legally carry in the open. But there are pros and cons about liability issues if you carry in the open ... <'TK><

jaybird 08-27-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 83878)
In Tennessee we do not have a concealed permit ... It is a carry permit. You can legally carry in the open. But there are pros and cons about liability issues if you carry in the open ... <'TK><

True TK. I misspoke on the verbiage