FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Center Hill dam (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13047)

TroutFiend 03-15-2019 11:16 PM

Center Hill dam

Had to run up to Cookeville today, my youngest son tagging along. We crossed the 1st Caney fork bridge and were surprised at the level of flow. I decided to swing up to the dam and check it out. Spill gates were cracked and the river was treacherous, something to see if your up that way soon. Anyways, the saddle dam is being constructed along with the new ramp on the lake side of the dam at the end as you cross over. I’m pretty excited about that, as it will shave 15 mins drive off for me. Does anyone know the purpose of this saddle dam? To handle storm runoff or provide water storage above lake elevation?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c7590e3eaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkwalker 03-16-2019 11:06 AM

Mmmmm <'TK><

TroutFiend, if you are referring to the dam/wall to the left of your picture on the Lake side (can't been seen from your pic) .. That use to be referred to as the Fuse Plug... When I was guiding and had my cabin in Lancaster I frequented the Big Rock Market which was owned by Joel Martin.

Now this conversation took place over 18 years ago. He told me the purpose of the Fuse plug was to release a controlled flow of water if the lake level could not be maintained by the dam. To prevent the breaching of the dam it would flow over the Fuse.

Joel said the Corps gave him $50,000 in advance to invest because the overflow would flood the intersection of Big Rock Market. And flood insurance could not be had. Joel said he invested some of his money wisely ... EMU'S LOL !! :eek: <'TK><

TroutFiend 03-19-2019 03:59 PM

Gotcha, looking at google maps it does kind of point in his direction.
😯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkwalker 03-19-2019 04:25 PM

Yep !! <'TK><

Back when I frequented that area and the Dam retrofit was in the works, timber clearing and such... You could look and see the pathway that the flow would take from the fuse... TK:)

bfish 03-19-2019 05:31 PM

Yup the saddle dam is a fuse plug. In theory the plug will blow, only partially draining the reservoir. Alternative is to have the whole dam blow.

Flatline 03-22-2019 08:47 PM

I hit the lake today and its still high and the fish still have lock jaw :(

tkwalker 03-22-2019 10:12 PM

Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 85215)
I hit the lake today and its still high and the fish still have lock jaw :(

That's common with Bluebird sky's (means high pressure, it affects the bladders in fish and they usually stay low and do not eat) especially with a wind blown front out of the west/northwest ... Really had nothing to do with the lake level ... :o TK

Flatline 03-23-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 85216)
That's common with Bluebird sky's (means high pressure, it affects the bladders in fish and they usually stay low and do not eat) especially with a wind blown front out of the west/northwest ... Really had nothing to do with the lake level ... :o TK

So you're say low pressure or dropping atmospheric pressure makes for better fishing ? I did find that they were hovering around 20-30 feet and bait fish (I think) was 10-20 feet. Surface water them was around 54*

tkwalker 03-23-2019 11:06 AM

Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 85217)
So you're say low pressure or dropping atmospheric pressure makes for better fishing ? I did find that they were hovering around 20-30 feet and bait fish (I think) was 10-20 feet. Surface water them was around 54*

Flatline, If I remember correctly the Bait fish during these conditions would hang around the thermocline which is about 20 feet in Center Hill. TK:)