FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fun 2 days. (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12337)

Alphahawk 12-02-2017 10:08 PM

Fun 2 days.

Hasn’t been the best year for catching bluegill for me....I’ll be glad when 2017 is over. But the last 2 days I took the bull by the horns and caught over 120 chunky Gills. I used a drop shot rig with the Trout Magnet tipped with tiny piece of night crawler. I was fishing a lock wall in 17 feet of water. My drift speed was only .2 MPH. I was using a Truzer Ajing UL rod with Daiwa Certate reel spooled with SOS 2# test line. The Truzer is an extremely sensitive rod. With the line being constantly taught during the drift, and the sensitivity of the rod being off the charts...it felt like a lightning bolt when one would hit. Certainly not the longest Gills I have caught but they sure had broad shoulders. It was a fun 2 days. I love feeling that hit.......going to have do that more often these upcoming cold months. Bluegill bite great in winter but they do go deep. With the Trout Magnet being only 1/64 ounce just no way to keep it on or close to the bottom....need a little help...thus the drop shot rig. The Gills are starting to turn pale as they do in winter....yet the past 2 days it has been in the high 60’s. Life is good!

Regards

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c72d187916.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cf079b5ea3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tkwalker 12-02-2017 11:40 PM

YummmmmY <'TK><

Randy, Great report and I know a lots of fun ... and eats as well .. Sometimes this winter give me a call I would love to go with you one time ... <'TK><:)

Texas_Rig 12-03-2017 12:36 PM

Out of all the fish I've caught in my life, I think the bluegill family have the most beautiful colorations of all. Nice fish Alpha!

Alphahawk 12-03-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 80148)
Randy, Great report and I know a lots of fun ... and eats as well .. Sometimes this winter give me a call I would love to go with you one time ... <'TK><:)

Can do TK. I’m fast becoming a fair weather fisherman...but we should have several sunny, no wind days this winter.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk 12-03-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 80153)
Out of all the fish I've caught in my life, I think the bluegill family have the most beautiful colorations of all. Nice fish Alpha!

Thanks......they have red breasted sunfish down there too. I need to get some pics of them when I catch some....they are really colorful.

Regards

Heiny57 12-03-2017 02:56 PM

Nice catching.

tkwalker 12-03-2017 05:34 PM

I'm with you !! <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphahawk (Post 80155)
Can do TK. I’m fast becoming a fair weather fisherman...but we should have several sunny, no wind days this winter.

Regards

Yes defiantly one of the warmer sunny days ... I found out during my guiding days that February was usually nicer than March ... The weather was not as vol-ital ... <'TK><

Joshthebadbear 12-05-2017 02:55 PM

Nice

Catching. That had to be a fun two days ! Congrats.

fairweatherfisherman 12-07-2017 09:34 AM

Thanks for the technique details. I find them very helpful.

agelesssone 12-07-2017 11:09 PM

Randy, you'd had a ball below Old Hickory today. I located two schools of big bluegills. All I had with me were minnows and the big bluegill were tearing them up.
Can't imagine how many I would have caught with smaller bait!

SAMBOLIE 12-08-2017 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 80249)
Randy, you'd had a ball below Old Hickory today. I located two schools of big bluegills. All I had with me were minnows and the big bluegill were tearing them up.

Catching bluegill on 80 lb test and ultra stiff rod is always a blast.

agelesssone 12-08-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE (Post 80251)
Catching bluegill on 80 lb test and ultra stiff rod is always a blast.

What was tough was keeping a minnow on that 8/0 hook!
But with myin skill levels being stratospheric, I got'er dun!

SAMBOLIE 12-08-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 80252)
What was tough was keeping a minnow on that 8/0 hook!
But with myin skill levels being stratospheric, I got'er dun!

I never doubted you were out of the normal atmosphere.

Now if you are referring to high skills you could not be referring typing skills.

Alphahawk 12-08-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 80249)

Would have loved to be there. I always wondered if big Gills would stack below Old Hickory. I need to get up there and give it a try. The cold weather shuts me down.....which is too bad as winter time can be the best time to really get the big Gills. I fished up in the lake this past spring but up on the lake the Gills I got into didn’t have much size.....but man the numbers were off the charts. That is also where I took out my trolling motor hitting a stump on full speed.....doing 4.5 MPH.....LOL. I knew better than to do that where I was at. Maybe on a warm day...no wind.....we can get together and try it. Getting to be a real woos the older I get.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk