FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Which one of you? (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12663)

Texas_Rig 05-12-2018 02:47 PM

Which one of you?

Who put the jinx on me? I know it's one of you guys. Lol. Let's just recap the week. Most of you know what happened Moday. Yesterday while fishing my cranking battery died and somehow my jumper cables are not in the boat. I had a dead battery bc my onboard charger decided it doesn't wanna work. It shows full charge but it's lying. I had a fishing tournament this morning and halfway through the morning I start getting some kind of alarm on my boat. I think it's an oil alarm. I had to get someone to go get my truck at Davis Corner and drive it to Flippers so I could load my boat. Then I get home and back my boat in the shop and as I pull the truck forward a hose that runs antifreeze busted and my driveway is full of antifreeze. Also my boat number got drawn for a new carhartt jacket but didn't win bc we didn't make weigh in.

A few honorable mentions; I had a tournament on OH this morning so I've had to fish a lake all week that seemingly has about 10 keeper bass in the whole dang lake. I haven't caught a limit total all week. We did have one keeper this morning before the boat messed up and was at least catching some short fish and lost one around 3lbs. The tournament had 24 boats and 8lbs won the tournament and 2.30lbs was big fish.

I'm afraid to get in my car and drive to work tonight. Ok my rant is over. If I find out which one of you put a hex on me just remember that payback is a you know what.

Buccaneer 05-12-2018 05:37 PM

It was Skillet.

Dakota 05-12-2018 05:38 PM

The good news is It can only go up for you now. Was it a 3 limit weigh in or a short tournament. Not a lot of weight. Hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehick176 05-12-2018 06:28 PM

Old Hickory at her finest. You love her or hate her. Most hate her Lol

luckystratos 05-12-2018 06:55 PM

Skillet x2
That's bad luck if I've ever heard it. Was alarm solid or beeping. I think solid is overheating.

Texas_Rig 05-12-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 82696)
The good news is It can only go up for you now. Was it a 3 limit weigh in or a short tournament. Not a lot of weight. Hmmm.

5 fish tournament. 24 boats. 530-1pm.

Texas_Rig 05-12-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckystratos (Post 82698)
Skillet x2
That's bad luck if I've ever heard it. Was alarm solid or beeping. I think solid is overheating.

Lol. Watch out Skillet. It started with just 2 short faint beeps. I shut it down and took a peak at the oil to make sure I had some. Then I started back down the lake and got it again but decided to keep running and see what happened. About 10 seconds after 2 short beeps, I got 6-8 beeps in a row. I was right around Flippers so I just idled the boat in there.

agelesssone 05-12-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 82695)
It was Skillet.

Yup, it were skillet!
He don't even haf to be in the boat with you, all you gotta do is think his name....and the hoodoo done gotchu.

skillet 05-13-2018 11:14 AM

Yup, I woke up yesterday morning and thought to myself, I’m gonna totally ruin some random persons day without even knowing it!!!

I fished Friday and did really well. We got on the water at 6:30ish and fished till about 11:30. I had 5 keepers, nothing big. Biggest was 16.5” and fat still. Might’ve been 2.5lbs. Only had one fish that looked to have come off bed, it’s tail was whooped and very bloody. All my fish were caught on a 1.5 squarebill or shakey Head. It was a hot and heavy bite till around 9:30. After that, not a keeper bite all day.

We did ride up to Johnny Cash’s old place. I’m curious if it’s frowned upon to dock a boat and walk up there since there’s nothing really there now. I wanted to, but didn’t feel like calling the ol lady from jail. 🤷🏻*♂️😂

aero320 05-13-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 82694)
Who put the jinx on me? I know it's one of you guys. Lol. Let's just recap the week. Most of you know what happened Moday. Yesterday while fishing my cranking battery died and somehow my jumper cables are not in the boat. I had a dead battery bc my onboard charger decided it doesn't wanna work. It shows full charge but it's lying. I had a fishing tournament this morning and halfway through the morning I start getting some kind of alarm on my boat. I think it's an oil alarm. I had to get someone to go get my truck at Davis Corner and drive it to Flippers so I could load my boat. Then I get home and back my boat in the shop and as I pull the truck forward a hose that runs antifreeze busted and my driveway is full of antifreeze. Also my boat number got drawn for a new carhartt jacket but didn't win bc we didn't make weigh in. I

A few honorable mentions; I had a tournament on OH this morning so I've had to fish a lake all week that seemingly has about 10 keeper bass in the whole dang lake. I haven't caught a limit total all week. We did have one keeper this morning before the boat messed up and was at least catching some short fish and lost one around 3lbs. The tournament had 24 boats and 8lbs won the tournament and 2.30lbs was big fish.

I'm afraid to get in my car and drive to work tonight. Ok my rant is over. If I find out which one of you put a hex on me just remember that payback is a you know what.

Have you tried going to church more? Seems to work for me.

Texas_Rig 05-13-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero320 (Post 82713)
Have you tried going to church more? Seems to work for me.

I'm not quite sure how to respond. Could you elaborate a little more?

XxthejuicexX 05-13-2018 04:45 PM

You could be like me and not have the time to even try and screw things up on the water.

Texas_Rig 05-13-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX (Post 82717)
You could be like me and not have the time to even try and screw things up on the water.

Touche. It could be a lot worse.

Halli 05-15-2018 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wear a UT hat next time it works for Bill Dance!

I premix my fuel now got tired of worrying about oil injection and have a temp gauge so I unplugged the purple wire.

Texas_Rig 05-15-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halli (Post 82760)
Wear a UT hat next time it works for Bill Dance!

I premix my fuel now got tired of worrying about oil injection and have a temp gauge so I unplugged the purple wire.

I sure felt like ol Bill Dance last week and I may be headed in the same direction on the oil injector.

skillet 05-15-2018 09:56 PM

I mix my fuel too. 50:1 with just a touch extra. It doesn’t smoke real bad, but I do enjoy the smell of two stroke at 5am!!

skillet 05-15-2018 10:00 PM

Which one of you?

Speaking of Bill Dance, there’s a tournament out of Sanders Ferry Park in June that him, Jimmy Houston , and Roland Martin will be in. They had auctions to fish with them on Old hickory lake but the bids were deeper than my pockets can go!!

https://donate.tjmartell.org/henders...nament/e168095

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...885b2eb3de.jpg

tkwalker 05-15-2018 11:47 PM

Yes !! <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillet (Post 82769)
I mix my fuel too. 50:1 with just a touch extra. It doesn’t smoke real bad, but I do enjoy the smell of two stroke at 5am!!

For those of you who do not know how a two stroke motor works (totally different than a four stroke, like in your car). When your fuel/oil goes into the carburetor of your 2 stroke it does not go straight to the cylinders(combustion chambers) and is ignited by the spark plug like a 4 stroke.

In a 2 stroke the fuel/oil leaves the carb and enters the crankcase... This is where all the monkey motions of your crankshaft, rod and crank bearings get their lubrication from the fuel/oil. Then the fuel/oil leaves the crankcase and enters the cylinders to be fired.

Bottom line SMOKE is GOOD! And fattening up the oil a little does not hurt. And let's be honest you only really see it when you first start up but mostly disappears after you get underway ...

And for those of you like me, the smoke brings back memories from an early morn with your Dad when you were a kid. Well I probably smell this smoke more than most working on these old kickers. And every time I twist the flywheel and smell the Smoke I remember my Dad.

Now today we have designer oils with a sundry of aromas with our new synthetics , Lucas, Klotz, etc. It's kind of like being around folks smoking "E" cigarettes ..:eek: ... <TK><:)

XxthejuicexX 05-16-2018 09:10 AM

I second both you guys. The smell of the smoke in the early morning takes me back to my childhood and my grandfathers old Cajun with the 115 tower of power merc on it.

jaybird 05-16-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 82695)
It was Skillet.

I was thinking the same thing

spottedbass 05-16-2018 11:43 AM

I miss that smell. My new boat has a 4-stroke on it. I have always told my wife my favorite thing about fishing is the early morning, smell of the outboard and the sound of the red-wing blackbirds.

Texas_Rig 05-16-2018 06:09 PM

This is an update on my motor. I have a Mercury 175 EFI. These motors will not pee very well until the thermostats open. I noticed on Saturday that my motor was not peeing as well as it should. I brushed it off as my motor wasn't warm. It would pee ok at 5000 rpms. But I did check the hose for blockage that day and it was clear. Yesterday I checked it again and it was clear. My tube connects tge motor to a plastic piece on the calling(spelling?). I took the plastic piece off and it was 90% clogged with what appeared to be moss. I cleaned it out and the poppit valve. I took the boat to the lake today and ran it for 20 minutes and it ran great and peed great. It also had a little more water pressure.

Here's what my non mechanical mind thinks happened. I think the hot water was building up in the motor because it couldn't escape and I was getting a temperature warning with the beeps. Does this make sense to any of you guys that have any understanding about boat motors? The boat appears to be fine now.

Buccaneer 05-16-2018 06:19 PM

Mud dobber’s love to nest in the pee tubes of our engines. Carry 10-12” of weed eater line to ram up the pee hole in the Spring.

Texas_Rig 05-16-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 82782)
Mud dobber’s love to nest in the pee tubes of our engines. Carry 10-12” of weed eater line to ram up the pee hole in the Spring.

I've had that happen too.

tkwalker 05-16-2018 11:22 PM

A little more info .. <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 82781)
This is an update on my motor. I have a Mercury 175 EFI. These motors will not pee very well until the thermostats open. I noticed on Saturday that my motor was not peeing as well as it should. I brushed it off as my motor wasn't warm. It would pee ok at 5000 rpms. But I did check the hose for blockage that day and it was clear. Yesterday I checked it again and it was clear. My tube connects tge motor to a plastic piece on the calling(spelling?). I took the plastic piece off and it was 90% clogged with what appeared to be moss. I cleaned it out and the poppit valve. I took the boat to the lake today and ran it for 20 minutes and it ran great and peed great. It also had a little more water pressure.

Here's what my non mechanical mind thinks happened. I think the hot water was building up in the motor because it couldn't escape and I was getting a temperature warning with the beeps. Does this make sense to any of you guys that have any understanding about boat motors? The boat appears to be fine now.

First off in my experience, BUC is right, I have found Merc's draw Dirt Dobbers like Magnets.. 10 to 1 over other brands and I don't know why!! ... The pee tube is called the "tail tell" ... and really it's primary purpose is to indicate that you do have water flow through the motor that can be physically seen with the EYE, It is a parallel water flow ckt from the main cooling flow. The thermostat does not enter the picture when it comes to Tail Tell Flow.. If you notice, even before the motor hits and starts with just the Electric starter motor you have Tail Tell flow, and immediately after it starts and it is dead cold... Note: Outboard Thermostats don't control water flow like automotive thermostats do.

But with that said ... It could be totally stopped up and you could still have sufficient water flow through the engine and the primary discharge of the water is either through the prop or exhaust housing port depending on Brand, model and year. Now if the Tail Tell was stopped up your water pressure would increase not decrease. Example. Like putting your thumb over the end of a Garden Hose, restricted water flow but increased pressure... As far as the temp sensors, The are usually located near the cylinders and Heads which get the hottest. I am always suspect of Water pump impellers when it comes to over temp and flow indications.

TR didn't you just have your lower unit rebuilt again .. I am sure your mechanic installed a new Water Imp. It's right there on top when he dropped the unit... <'TK><:)

Texas_Rig 05-16-2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 82790)
First off in my experience, BUC is right, I have found Merc's draw Dirt Dobbers like Magnets.. 10 to 1 over other brands and I don't know why!! ... The pee tube is called the "tail tell" ... and really it's primary purpose is to indicate that you do have water flow through the motor that can be physically seen with the EYE, It is a parallel water flow ckt from the main cooling flow. The thermostat does not enter the picture when it comes to Tail Tell Flow.. If you notice, even before the motor hits and starts with just the Electric starter motor you have Tail Tell flow, and immediately after it starts and it is dead cold... Note: Outboard Thermostats don't control water flow like automotive thermostats do.

But with that said ... It could be totally stopped up and you could still have sufficient water flow through the engine and the primary discharge of the water is either through the prop or exhaust housing port depending on Brand, model and year. Now if the Tail Tell was stopped up your water pressure would increase not decrease. Example. Like putting your thumb over the end of a Garden Hose, restricted water flow but increased pressure... As far as the temp sensors, The are usually located near the cylinders and Heads which get the hottest. I am always suspect of Water pump impellers when it comes to over temp and flow indications.

TR didn't you just have your lower unit rebuilt again .. I am sure your mechanic installed a new Water Imp. It's right there on top when he dropped the unit... <'TK><:)

I told you I don't know anything about motors!:D I do know that my motor does not pee well at idle until it gets warm. It will just spit water at idle when first cranked up. I have been told by several people that this is normal for my motor. I know Adrian has the exact same motor and his acts the same. Yes I did just have the lower unti rebuilt and I was told a brand new impeller was installed.

After reading your post my guess is that the clogged hose didn't cause my alarm the other day. Maybe I should have ran the boat a little longer today to see if I could get an alarm. I ran it for 15-20 minutes with no issues and loaded it up because I didn't have time to stay and fish

tkwalker 05-16-2018 11:50 PM

Great ... <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 82791)
I told you I don't know anything about motors!:D I do know that my motor does not pee well at idle until it gets warm. It will just spit water at idle when first cranked up. I have been told by several people that this is normal for my motor. I know Adrian has the exact same motor and his acts the same. Yes I did just have the lower unti rebuilt and I was told a brand new impeller was installed.

After reading your post my guess is that the clogged hose didn't cause my alarm the other day. Maybe I should have ran the boat a little longer today to see if I could get an alarm. I ran it for 15-20 minutes with no issues and loaded it up because I didn't have time to stay and fish

This may be the characteristic for yours and Adrian's motor ... My guide boat had a 225 HP (3 liter Big Block) Blue water Merc... And it pee'd water like a race horse at idle .... Just keep an eye on it ... <'TK><:)