FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Water clarity and level questions (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=10035)

XxthejuicexX 03-05-2015 02:00 PM

Water clarity and level questions

I want to get out Saturday afternoon. I know the rivers around here are high and muddy. How does the amount of rain/snow we got effect williamsport, steamplant or the north end of Priest. I don't fish either of those enough to know what happens with all the wet stuff that fell.

Travis C. 03-05-2015 02:05 PM

Gsp was up and muddy after last weeks snow melt by saturday.

Williamsport i would imagine wont get a lot of inbound color except whats there but on the same token it will probably filter out longer.

Dont know about stones.

Your best water is probably gonna be below center hill in the pond for color if the sluice isnt on.

jad2t 03-05-2015 02:17 PM

GSP will most likely be muddy. I've narrowed my weekend trip down to either the North end of JPP around Seven Points or Williamsport. I know that part of JPP will be clear and I can always call the office at Williamsport and ask about the water clarity but I think it should be fine there.

jad2t 03-05-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis C. (Post 62097)

Your best water is probably gonna be below center hill in the pond for color if the sluice isnt on.

We made that mistake last weekend. 5 of us fishing couldn't even get a single fish. Not even stockers on TMs. I blame the massive shad kill and surely these cold temps are going to kill more shad. I'd guess the fishing there will be tough again.

Travis C. 03-05-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad2t (Post 62100)
We made that mistake last weekend. 5 of us fishing couldn't even get a single fish. Not even stockers on TMs. I blame the massive shad kill and surely these cold temps are going to kill more shad. I'd guess the fishing there will be tough again.

What all did you fish with? Granted it can be tough but using TM's during a shad kill isn't really high %. Low water no shad coming through your in pretty good shape with TM's.

Minnows this time of year are good even with a shad kill on going. Don't worry about the temps being too cold. It won't get too cold there for them. Too hot....maybe another issue.

creekcrappie 03-05-2015 03:16 PM

I hope to find some clearer water for my high school tourney on Jpp. I will probably go in the river or the back of spring/fall creek.

XxthejuicexX 03-05-2015 03:23 PM

Thanks for the help so far. I really want to fish Saturday out of the yak so I am trying to do my best to fish the best water I can find. Priest I would chase smallmouth or hybrid. Williamsport what ever I can find.

Alphahawk 03-05-2015 03:27 PM

Williamsport is clear.....clear as it usually is. I spent all day out there Tuesday didn't even get a hit. Did get to test out some new rods but would have liked to felt a fish on them. Shad kill really has nothing to do with catching trout on the TM......most of the time......even though I may want to blame it on that. The reason I didn't catch more over at Normandy Saturday was because the water was just a little too much. If no sluice I would hit the pond this weekend. If the water at OH or JPP is clearing.....meaning if it was clearer than yesterday......the fish will return to biting. It doesn't need to be clear....just clearing. I have found this true for all specie of fish. I'm going to try and hit Pickwick......Nickajack, the next few days after Friday. Hopefully get into some whites and maybe another big Smallie. I have fed the birds well this winter and have enjoyed looking at all the nice colors....but enough is enough.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C. 03-05-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX (Post 62103)
Thanks for the help so far. I really want to fish Saturday out of the yak so I am trying to do my best to fish the best water I can find. Priest I would chase smallmouth or hybrid. Williamsport what ever I can find.

Good luck if you get out. I am ready to get back out next weekend. Need me some kayak wars points.

All this snow, school closures and lil ones being sick has already used up my PTO and vacation for this year. Luckily my bosses who are awesome told that if i need to take a day or so during the week sometime to go fishing it will not be a problem.

Heck yeah!

XxthejuicexX 03-05-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis C. (Post 62106)
Good luck if you get out. I am ready to get back out next weekend. Need me some kayak wars points.

All this snow, school closures and lil ones being sick has already used up my PTO and vacation for this year. Luckily my bosses who are awesome told that if i need to take a day or so during the week sometime to go fishing it will not be a problem.

Heck yeah!

Good to hear you have understanding bosses. I need to post some more Kayak wars points. We are hanging out with 35 points, you can tell it's slow because I think we are 5th or 6th with just those points. Will the caney be ruined this weekend with all the rain?

Travis C. 03-05-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX (Post 62107)
Good to hear you have understanding bosses. I need to post some more Kayak wars points. We are hanging out with 35 points, you can tell it's slow because I think we are 5th or 6th with just those points. Will the caney be ruined this weekend with all the rain?

Honestly if it were me and the sluice isn't running thats where i would go with my trip. Sluice no way if its on i haven't checked. I have fished with 14 or 15k running through gens in the pond no issue just higher.

Gar move in there to with trout and striper on high water. Points are points even if its gar. :D

Travis C. 03-05-2015 04:47 PM

If Williamsport is still in pretty good shape clarity wise it could be an option but with 10-15 mph winds here i wouldn't waste the gas. You would get blown all over.

XxthejuicexX 03-05-2015 05:02 PM

Looking at the Generation schedule 2 are open now, where can you check to see if the sluice is open? i would like to catch some trout since the last trip out was a bust

Heiny57 03-05-2015 05:07 PM

Which lake at Willamsport has the crappie in it, or do they all?

Alphahawk 03-05-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heiny57 (Post 62113)
Which lake at Willamsport has the crappie in it, or do they all?

Blue Cat and Shell Cracker. If you have a boat with sonar they will be easy to find. A friend of mine was catching them in his boat last week. If you go to Blue Cat and you look out from boat ramp the left bank of the first cove should be holding a bunch in those stick ups.

Regards