FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cumberland River 8-19 (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12221)

jknight13 08-22-2017 10:01 PM

Cumberland River 8-19

Fished Cumberland Saturday morning near Briley. Caught a 18-20 largemouth but none of them over a pound. Was using a 8-10 foot crankbait and only had luck catching on the rocks about 6-8 feet away feom the shoreline. Anybody had any luck catching any bigger fish? If so, where at and on what?

I am new to fishing the river and trying to get a few pointers if anyone is willing to share.

CreekWalker 08-23-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jknight13 (Post 79433)
Fished Cumberland Saturday morning near Briley. Caught a 18-20 largemouth but none of them over a pound. Was using a 8-10 foot crankbait and only had luck catching on the rocks about 6-8 feet away feom the shoreline. Anybody had any luck catching any bigger fish? If so, where at and on what?

I am new to fishing the river and trying to get a few pointers if anyone is willing to share.

Based on that math you were probably catching spotted bass? Keep on it there are bigger fish around.

TnCreekMaster 08-23-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jknight13 (Post 79433)

I fish cheatham quite a bit, try fishing out a little deeper during the day in say 15-25 fow, and if your fishing in the morning always have a few topwaters tied on, weightless fluke and a sexy dog jr, if you have rod holders troll some 5 or 6xd's can't go wrong with a gizzard shad color, or jig a spoon or blade bait and you'll catch a mixed bag every time, the bigger spots and smallies are out there just have to cover water till you find em, I've caught a few 18"+ spots and a couple over 20" smallies one being 24", keep at it!

Brian37075 08-23-2017 10:29 PM

There used to be some small mouth on the bend of the river going towards town from where the river boat is. As you pass the river boat on your left going towards town. As the river begins the bend to the right try that rock bluff to the left in the bend. I used to throw a big rooster tail and have some luck there.

Texas_Rig 08-24-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekwalker (Post 79435)
based on that math you were probably catching spotted bass? Keep on it there are bigger fish around.

x2

Texas_Rig 08-24-2017 03:50 AM

I always catch fish on a spinnerbait in the river. You really have to cover the entire water column. Find current breaks and current seams and I guarantee you will find fish. Good luck. There are good ones in there. To me there doesn't seem to be as many big smallmouth since the big flood but there are definitely some hawgs swimming around.

thehick176 08-24-2017 07:58 AM

I have better luck with big Smallies down there in the middle of winter. Both sides of the river from the dam down to OHB bridge and any place the river turns, making the current speed up.

TerryD 08-24-2017 07:06 PM

Fish any creek and creek mouth that you can. A jig and chunk was my go to bait back when I fished Cheatham. Don't be afraid to go stupid shallow if you have water color in the creeks. A jig, spinnerbait, and buzz bait will find you some hawg largemouth. As stated earlier, look for and fish every little current break. You will develop a pattern with experience and time on the river.
Good luck!