FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Be Careful ! (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12309)

Joshthebadbear 11-14-2017 03:53 PM

Be Careful !

Late last year I made a covenant with myself to start using my kill switch at all times. I usually do wear my life vest and always while running. A few weeks ago I had a new boat partner with me (his wife had just passed).

Running down the river on a nice clear day with small chop and the sun at our back I hit a submerged tree the size of of a long desk. About 57 mph. Airborn and things flying all over the place. Kill switch shut her down and we got tossed around the boat a bit but not ejected. . . could have easily though. About $3,500 damage to hydraulic trim, cowl and rear seat !

Be careful out there brethren !

p.s. I gotta visit this site more often. ! !

Buccaneer 11-14-2017 05:37 PM

Josh, sorry dude. You said back seat and cowling damage, did the motor kick up so hard that it impacted the seat and back deck? At 57mph I can imagine. I hit a submerged log on OH at sub-planing speed and damn near had a hysterectomy so I can imagine your experience.

Halli 11-14-2017 06:08 PM

Wear It ! ! !

Great Info and needed at this time of year.

I agree ALWAYS wear a pfd when the Big motor is running and a Kill switch lanyard.

It irritates me when I see Pro's On Tv shows with no vest on!

I also leave my vest on when fishing the Cumberland and super windy days.

A note.... : West Marine usually has Black Friday sales on C02 Vest for in the 50-60 buck range.

Joshthebadbear 11-15-2017 02:44 PM

Yep

Buc it kicked up over the transom. I never noticed the damage to the cowl or the back seat. but adjuster confirmed damage. Lucky we didn't have a 150 Merc 4 stroke in the middle seat.

skillet 11-15-2017 09:41 PM

I know it doesn't help now, but there is a product out there that will keep your motor from doing that if this happens to someone else. It's basically a heavy duty strap with a little bit of stretch to absorb that shock. They're cheap and well worth the money when you're hauling bass across the water!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lepomis 11-16-2017 07:52 AM

Wear the PFD all the time

I'm 67, and I've fished in boats all my adult life and spent more hours in a boat in my work life than most people will in a lifetime. Back in the spring I fell in the lake for the first time, fortunately while getting out of my boat at the ramp courtesy dock. I fish by myself most of the time, and I had gotten out of the habit of wearing the foam flotation PFDs. Falling in was an eye-opener, and I considered it a warning.

Good timing though. When I got home I spent my Cabelas points on an auto-inflate PFD, which was one of their Memorial Day doorbusters, and got free shipping since the PFD and a rearm kit were just a hair over $99.

I have noticed my sense of balance is not what it used to be; one of those things that creeps up on you. If you have gotten out of the habit of wearing a PFD all the time like I had, it would be a good thing to reconsider wearing it all the time.

Buccaneer 11-16-2017 11:51 AM

The Leash - https://theleash.net/

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillet (Post 79949)
I know it doesn't help now, but there is a product out there that will keep your motor from doing that if this happens to someone else. It's basically a heavy duty strap with a little bit of stretch to absorb that shock. They're cheap and well worth the money when you're hauling bass across the water!!!

Joshthebadbear 11-17-2017 12:12 AM

The Leash

Only works if you have a jack plate on. Have been talking to owners. They are soon to produce one that will work on rigs that don't have em. $400 price tag <gulp> But going to save up for one I think.