FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Tech Tips (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bendix Gear Hanging in Flywheel (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12699)

FishAddict 05-27-2018 02:11 PM

Bendix Gear Hanging in Flywheel

This is the second time this has happened, locked up at the launch. The Bendix hangs/locks up in the Flywheel. Is this caused by a bad Bexdix gear? It has boogered up a couple of teeth on the flywheel. I got it freed up once I got home and seems to be OK now. Thanks for advice on this.

tkwalker 05-27-2018 09:13 PM

Okay..... <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishAddict (Post 82945)
This is the second time this has happened, locked up at the launch. The Bendix hangs/locks up in the Flywheel. Is this caused by a bad Bexdix gear? It has boogered up a couple of teeth on the flywheel. I got it freed up once I got home and seems to be OK now. Thanks for advice on this.

This is how the starter system work ...When you turn the key the starter solenoid applies power to the starter motor. When it spins it sends the Bendix Gear up and engages the flywheel. As soon as the Motor starts the starter motor stops and the Bendix gear falls down out of the way of the flywheel. It sounds like the Bendix is not getting engaged completely.

One of three items is your problem... The cheapest items is the solenoid, (and Bendix) The sol. could be failing and interrupts the power to the starter motor from running... or it could be the starter itself. The Bendix could be worn and not traveling properly .. (short explanation)

Intermittent problem are hard to trouble shoot and nail down. Start eliminating components one at a time since the problem is intermittent. <'TK><

FishAddict 05-28-2018 12:22 PM

When this happens the gears are stuck and aren't lined up/not meshed which makes me think the gear is bad. Seems like the Bendix gear is beveled so it moves the wheel slightly to align the gears....Sound correct? Thanks

tkwalker 05-28-2018 09:03 PM

Okay .... <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishAddict (Post 82956)
When this happens the gears are stuck and aren't lined up/not meshed which makes me think the gear is bad. Seems like the Bendix gear is beveled so it moves the wheel slightly to align the gears....Sound correct? Thanks

Now the gear may be bad ... By what caused it to go bad and chew itself up ... I still think the answer is in my previous post ... The Bendix gear has not either been completing it's full travel to engage ... Or it is not dropping out of the way and binding the flywheel ... <'TK><:) Start with replacing the Bendix..

tkwalker 05-29-2018 03:58 PM

Re think .. <'TK><

FA, first off it is hard to troubleshoot anything over the phone or cyber space... I was thinking of your problem today and think I know your primary cause.

When the starter spins, it does it at a velocity that it actually spins the Bendix gear into the flywheel. When the starter starts going bad and they loose their punch this will retard the engagement into the the flywheel and not letting the the gear mesh correctly so the edge of the gear starts to be worn as well as the flywheel teeth. (And at times Hangs and will not fall)

Just go ahead and bite the bullet and purchase a new starter (they come with a new Bendix)... Replace with a ARCO starter, Made in Florida, not China.. If interested I may be able to save you a few $$ on it .... <'TK><:)

FishAddict 05-31-2018 07:56 PM

Sounds like good advice, Thanks TK.