FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ohd. (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13237)

thehick176 09-15-2019 03:43 PM

Ohd.

1 Attachment(s)
Below the dam is where it's at right now guys. Dad and I put in Saturday morning with one gen running, 2nd kicking on at 10. We caught everything but a Rockfish, Walleye/Sauger, and a carp.
Most of the big Smallies came on a 1/4 ounce Strike King bitsy flip jig. Didn't seem to matter what trailer you put on it. We caught fish on jigs, crankbaits, and spinnerbaits. I caught the biggest Spot that I've ever caught down there on a 3/8 Booyah spinnerbait..
Don't waste your time fishing past OHB bridge, we drifted both sides and didn't get a bite a half mile past the sewer discharge.
Biggest Smallies were 20 and 18.5 inches

Buzzy15 09-15-2019 06:06 PM

Now that is a report!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan 54 09-15-2019 10:33 PM

Finally a happy fisherman. Good report.

Flatline 09-16-2019 09:09 AM

Thank you for the report...

How is the current when the locks are open ? (probably a dumb question)

I ask because its pretty swift when Cordell Hull opens a couple gates, enough so that you can't anchor and fish generally quit biting.

thehick176 09-16-2019 12:52 PM

1 or 2 gens you are good. Any more than 2 is to much current for me.

SAMBOLIE 09-16-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 86451)

I ask because its pretty swift when Cordell Hull opens a couple gates, enough so that you can't anchor and fish generally quit biting.

Locks open should not affect current.

SAMBOLIE 09-16-2019 01:52 PM

Nice smallie. River fishing is my preference (when there is current).

Buccaneer 09-16-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

You are talking about the spill gates. When the lock opens downstream the upstream side is closed and there is no current flow through the lock with the exception of the lock discharge typically on the side of the wing wall.

tkwalker 09-16-2019 04:00 PM

What you saw .... TK

Quote:

Flat line when the the locks are unloading from the downstream side all you will see is a flume of water kind of like a large fountain about 50 yards from the lock towards the channel, and a little turbulence..

What you experienced is TVA starting their Hydro Generators. With no rain recently I doubt the spillway gates have been opened ... Call 800-238-2264 for Generation schedules for all hydro's in the TVA system, actually the best fishing is with one Gen running .. That is with boards trolling with the current ... Tk:)

lupanfreitag 09-16-2019 06:29 PM

Ohd

I have been doing well. I have not had a bad trip in 5 weeks.
I wish the flood doors would open... oh, baby that is Thunderdome!

Alphahawk 09-16-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

I’ve fished a lot of tailrace.....Cordell Hull included. If they are not generating or have some gates open you might as well go home. I love it when the gates are open...the fish are most likely going to bite. When planning on fishing a tailrace and I check the TVA schedule, and there are no generators running, I don’t go. I have been below dams many times catching fish on every cast and they turn the generators off...the bite stops immediately. This holds true about 90 percent of the time.

Regards

Flatline 09-16-2019 10:43 PM

Yes I stand corrected.. I said locks when I meant spill gates. I've never fished below OH dam, but that is where I'm going in the morning. I need some confidence building if you know what I mean. :p

spottedbass 09-17-2019 07:49 AM

Where do you guys usually put it at? I live in Hendersonville and don't really want to fool with locking thru the dam. I've done that before and it just takes too long.

agelesssone 09-17-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedbass (Post 86461)
Where do you guys usually put it at? I live in Hendersonville and don't really want to fool with locking thru the dam. I've done that before and it just takes too long.

Opposite side of the river below the locks.

Go through Rayon City.
Google Old Hickory dam, get driving directions s to the dam.
Ramp is below the dam.

Flatline 09-17-2019 04:07 PM

It called Tailwater Access off of Cinder Rd... I was there today for the first time... I don't like the place... very narrow and steep ramp and from the ramp to the dam.. its shallow, hit my prop on rock pile in the channel no less. Luckily nothing a file can't fix.

On a good note I caught 2 today